Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Special Christmas Tradition



I love Christmas Traditions! One of my favorites growing up was given to me every year on Christmas Eve. Mom and Dad started a tradition the year I was born by purchasing an ornament for me representing that year. They always got them from Hallmark! I believe they chose Hallmark because my father wanted ornaments that showed the year's date. That was important to him and now I see why. So, every year growing up my brother and I looked forward to seeing the ornament that they had chosen for each of us. And, because I treasured this tradition so much I have chosen to pass this on to my girls. Every year I enjoy so much choosing an ornament for them that sort of represents their past year. For Sarah this year, I chose the beautiful and graceful Barbie Ballerina and for Elizabeth I chose the cuddly bear coloring with Crayola crayons. Let me explain my reasons...

As you know, Sarah has shown a great interest this past year in the love of ballet and so in September we signed her up for lessons. Unfortunately, I have to report as of this past week she is no longer taking ballet lessons. She still ADORES ballet and dancing but just doesn't seem to be quite ready or old enough for the "strict ballet classroom setting". We are planning to try again next year or maybe even the following year when she is a little bit older. Of course, I simply adore ballet and was a tad bit disappointed but those feelings quickly left as I realized she was not truly enjoying herself at class. She always appeared very happy coming out of class but several times complained to me that it was "too hard". Being my desire for her to enjoy what she is involved in, I told her it was just fine if she stopped taking classes this year. When she gets older, we will encourage her to complete the year. She says she wants to dance ballet "at home" and not at "ballet class". So, I told her that sounded great! :) When she gets a little older if she decides to take "official classes" then that will be wonderful - but if not, that's okay too!

I have a feeling though that she will gravitate towards the "dancing direction" when she gets older because she is so "girly", but we'll see. She told me just a few days ago that when she "grows up to be a mommy like me she wants to be a doctor". She said, "Mommy, can you get me some doctor clothes.?" And, I said, "Well, of course!"

For Elizabeth I chose this cuddly bear ornament coloring with crayons. Elizabeth LOVES to get her teeth on Sarah's crayons. So, this year for Christmas she will be getting her own set as well as this ornament. Sarah was never one to eat crayons but Elizabeth on the other hand can't help herself. :)

Thank you Mom and Dad for this beautiful tradition you started with our family! What fun it is to look at my tree every year and remember all the memories! I love you both so much!

Stayed tuned... I directed a Winter Wonderland Wedding this past weekend and can't wait to share the pictures with you.


Christmas Blessings,
Until next time...

1 comment:

Mom of 3 said...

Those are some very cute ornaments. I also get ornaments for my girls each year that have the year on them.