Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Has Sprung!


Yay! It's officially spring - my most favorite time of the year! I look forward to spring arriving every year. I just can't tell you how much so! For me, this time of year is like Christmas. I just adore all the "newness" of life that springs up everywhere permeating the air. I have waited all winter to get my hands back in that wonderful garden soil. :)

Last night after dinner my family took an enjoyable walk around our neighborhood. As we walked I could smell the scent of fertilizer coming from some one's yard. Awwww I thought... the smell of spring is here and boy am I a happy girl! It is my dream this spring/summer to start a "kitchen garden" box so my daughters can learn and appreciate the joy of gardening. This will be a challenge for me but I'm hoping to get some good vegetable growing garden tips from my father as well as from my brother and his wife who are in the organic gardening business. It is my desire to plant a completely organic garden. When I'm at my parent's house in the summer - I just LOVE how my mother sends me out to their little lettuce patch to pick my lettuce for my salad. I just know how much Sarah and Elizabeth will love to learn and keep watch of our little garden.

If you're wondering about the picture above... Aren't these little purple flowers the sweetest!?! I just love to see them appear in my front and back yards each spring. They are actually called baby grape hyacinths. When we first moved here I was so perplexed by them and decided to look them up. For some crazy reason they grow in little patches all over my yard this time of year. I actually LOVE it because they are fun just by themselves or many times I have added them to other fresh cut flower arrangements. They don't have the WONDERFUL scent of regular hyacinths but I still love them for their cuteness. :) They are one little thing I will miss about where we live if we decide to move one day.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested - my favorite source for seeds is Renee's Garden. Not only is her packaging so beautiful she specializes in heirloom and cottage garden flowers - my fav. Click here to view her site.

"Spring has sprung!", said the bumble bee.
"How do you know?", said the old oak tree.
"I just saw a daffodil blooming on a windy hill!"


Happy Spring!
Until next time...

No comments: