Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Inauguration 2009 Favorite Highlights


Today is January 20, 2009 and the 1st African American President of the United States of America was sworn into office. What a day of joy this has been for so many people all over the world. I have to admit I always enjoy the pomp and circumstance of these kinds of occasions so my face was pretty much glued to the TV off and on all day. I tried to convince Sarah of our need to watch all the festivities but she wasn't too interested or impressed with the goings on. How can you blame her, being a 3 year old!?! So... in honor of today I wanted to post my favorite highlights from the historical Inauguration of 2009.

My Favorite Highlights:

1) First and foremost, Michelle Obama's choice of dress for the day! I loved what she wore to the inauguration (minus the green gloves and shoes) as well as to the inaugural ball this evening.

2) Loved what her girls were wearing - they were dressed in adorable outfits that depicted charm and style.

3) LOVED all the President Lincoln influence - so tastefully done!!! How honored he would feel this day.

4) You know I love fine china - so... of course, loved that the inaugural luncheon was served on a replica version of Lincoln's presidential china pattern.

5) Loved all the sights of the people over in Africa who were rejoicing for Obama - so fun to see them so happy with his success here in America!

6) Loved that President Obama chose to be sworn in using President Lincoln's Bible!

7) Loved the Pastor's words in the benediction prayer - remember the ending... it was so funny, yet so true, something like this... "looking towards that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when the yellow will be mellow and the white will embrace what is right..." :)

8) Beyonce's version of "At Last" which the President and his wife danced their 1st dance too.

9) Rick Warren's Opening Prayer at the Inauguration today. LOVED it so much!!!
and finally...

10) That history was made today - that America elected an African American to be President - Glory to God in the highest!

On this glorious day in American history I must give a mention that I am not ashamed in the least to tell you how grateful I feel to have had such a godly gentleman (Mr. President George W. Bush) and his lovely wife serve our nation for the last 8 years. I'm sure this day is bittersweet for him and his family! It saddens me to no end though how disrespectful some have treated him in the last few months of his presidency (throwing shoes at him...). I am cognizant of the fact that I don't know all the facts but what I do know is that he is a man of integrity and faith and has respected the office of which he held to its utmost. For this he should be respected and honored! "Safety" defined his presidency and I am grateful for it! 911 was a day like no other and because of his administration we were able to live in a safe America. I am grateful to have had a man who feared the Lord sit in the oval office for the last 8 years. I like the words of the writer, Mimi Knight. She says, " 'No fear!' is the mantra of the present generation. But 'No respect!' is more like it." Romans 13:1 says, "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." And 1 Timothy 2:2 instructs us to pray for those in authority. She continues to say, "A child who is taught to respect earthly authority will have the pattern in place to understand respecting godly authority."
It was electrifying watching the Inauguration today and seeing so many millions of people rejoicing over our newly elected president. Joy, hope, love and victory are in full abundance across this land! How exciting! Our newly elected president is poised with dignity and confidence which is reassuring to our nation. Hope and change are the themes of his message. But, aside from politics I can't help but wonder deep down if his message of hope is just for politics or is it truly for the eternal betterment of all people. Time will tell his motives. I pray it's for the betterment of mankind. In the mean time, we as believers must put our eternal hope in Christ. He ALONE will never forsake us or leave us. As one of my beloved ministers, Charles Stanley says, "When you place your trust in the One person who can never fail you. Your life will change in an amazing way." It's wonderful to have such an electrifying leader of our land, but only He (our Heavenly Creator) can be completely trusted. And, so with all this said, it is my privilege to welcome Barack H. Obama as our new President to the United States of America. It is my hope and prayer that he will lead this nation on his knees before the One who put him in office.

"Of all the terms we could use to describe Jesus when He was on earth, politically correct is not one of them. As Christians, we may feel that our job is to make peace and get along with everyone. Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. Our kids need to see us stand up for what is right and stand against what is wrong, even when it would be easier to just look away. Jesus had no trouble respecting the mores of the society into which He was born (Matt. 22:15-21), but He also didn't hesitate to rock the boat when it needed rocking (John 8:3-7). -Mimi Knight

Blessings,

Until next time...

3 comments:

Stewart Family said...

I loved it. Especially the parts about Bush and being a God fearing man. I think that is true. I believe it with all my heart despite what others think. I do pray that Obama will be a man on his knees.

Emily

Sheila Siler said...

Well said, I appreciate your insight.

A Jones said...

I couldn't have said all that better myself! Thank you.