
On Monday, July 21st, we traveled to Charlotte to visit the newly opened
Billy Graham Library. I wish I could appropriately portray to you the beauty and tranquility felt by all as we walked up to the Library grounds. It was lovely in every way! The flower gardens were breathtaking and the sound of old hymns bellowed out amongst the landscape in every direction. It was truly a sight to behold! I believe we were all-stuck in wonder as we arrived at this glorious place. Graceful white crape myrtles were in bloom as well as red, white and pink begonias. Pink "knock-out" rose bushes were also in abundance.
Some of the attractions included the Graham Family Home, Bessie the Cow (Sarah's favorite), A Journey of Faith, Ruth's Attic, Graham Brothers Dairy Bar, and the Prayer Garden.
We began our tour at the foot of the cross which is a 40-foot cross standing at the entryway of the big brown barn. The brown barn is where the bulk of the tour is held. As we entered we were greeted by "Bessie" the cow. Bessie is a talking and moving cow that appears very "real" like. I was holding Sarah at the time we approached the cow and I could feel her legs tighten around me. I assured her that she was not real, but even I was pleasantly surprised at her "real-like" qualities. She was adorable and was quite a hit with both Sarah and Elizabeth! She told us about Billy Graham's life as a young boy growing up on a dairy farm which was just a few miles from where we were. His "growing up" years included milking cows every morning and every evening after school.
We then continued through the library/museum portion and learned many wonderful things and saw many interesting belongings of the Graham family. Throughout our experience the message of the gospel was spoken over and over. It was very obvious that the desire of the Graham family is to honor Christ foremost with this Library and not "Billy Graham" the man. I was touched by the purity of Billy and Ruth's lives and was very much renewed and challenged to continue in the faith.
After touring the "museum" portion we decided to have lunch at the Graham Brothers Dairy Bar. Mike and I enjoyed "Mama Graham's" Chicken Salad Sandwiches on croissants and Sarah had a cheese sandwich. "Mama Graham" is referring to Billy's mother, Morrow Graham. The cheese and milk at the Dairy Bar was "out of this world" good!
I enjoyed visiting Ruth's Attic which is a lovely bookshop filled with many of her favorites as well as many written by many of the Graham family members. I purchased "It's My Turn" Life Lessons From the Wife of Billy Graham written by Ruth Bell Graham. She is a lady of such godly character through and through. I'm intrigued to read her words and learn from her principles of building a solid home and family.
Following lunch we toured the Graham Family H
ome. This was so exciting to me to actually step foot in the home where Billy Graham walked and talked and was raised. They informed us that the home has been moved twice and that each brick was numbered and put back in place each time they moved it. The home was moved in eight different sections and sits today just a few miles from where it was originally built.
Here are some pictures for you to see~

"Bessie" the cow! Isn't she amazing looking? The tent where he had his 1st Revival.

Ruth's childhood doll from China. She was born
in China to parents that were medical missionaries. Billy's preaching Bible.

Sarah and Mike at the Dairy Bar

Graham Family Home

The girls and me at lunch.

"Mama Graham's" kitchen and my favorite
room in the house. It displayed an airy
60's shabby chic style. Do you see the old fridge
on the left side of the picture and the ironing board
coming out from the wall?
Lastly, I wanted to share with you the details of the beautiful Prayer Garden. Ruth is buried there at the foot of the cross (a large brick cross walkway). Once again, here is a wonderful reminder of how Jesus instructs us to leave our cares/burdens at the foot of the cross. Billy Graham will one day be buried beside of her.
As we exited the barn we were each given a little card to take with us that reads:
The Salvation Poem
"Jesus, You died upon a cross
And rose again to save the lost
Forgive me now of all my sin
Come be my Saviour, Lord, and Friend
Change my life and make it new
And help me Lord,
to live for You."
The message of salvation was preached to us even as we walked out the door. What a remarkable call Billy Graham has answered and what a life he has lived well, not for himself to be glorified, but to He who has called him.
To God be the glory for what has been accomplished for the Kingdom!
"I've never known a man to receive Christ and regret it." -Billy Graham
Blessings,
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment