Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lots of Apples and Lots of Bees


This morning Sarah went to preschool for just an hour and then we packed up and headed to an Apple Orchard with my M.O.P.S.'s group. The apple orchard we attended is located in Morganton and is called Apple Hill Orchard and Cider Mill. It was truly a wonderful learning experience for not just the little ones but us adults too. But... the bees were definitely in abundance! Just as we walked up to the orchard the smell reminded me of my parent's backyard this time of year. My father grew numerous different types of fruit trees so as a child I was accustomed to the smells of fruit baking in the hot sun as well as hungry honey bees everywhere. I guess I had just forgotten how many there would be. Sarah was not too pleased with the large bee population but we trucked through and all in all had a very enjoyable time. Here are a few pictures from today!


Loaded on the Apple Wagon and headed for the hills of apples! :)


Red Delicious Apples



Sarah listening to the presentation.




The apples are dropped in the machine from the large crate.



The young lady leading our group then explained how the apples are cleaned and dried in the machine as well as sorted at the end of the process. She explained it to the children so they could understand. She said, "When we get dirty we take a bath and dry off with a towel. The apples do the same thing but in this machine." How clever of a way to explain it, I thought. :)



Here is how the apples are separated. The smallest apple is called the "pee wee". They save those simply to feed the nearby deer who especially love them. Isn't that sweet!?! I love that!

The next size is called the "small" and is used to make apple cider.

And finally, the next two large sizes are for eating.



Here we are in the room where they make the delicious Apple Cider. She is showing us how the apples travel up this machine and are then pressed to make the juice. Red and Golden Delicious apples are used to make the cider.


Isn't this a beautiful picture!?! I just loved this when I saw it! This is where we chose which apples we wanted to bring home. We were able to fill 3 bags full!

We also enjoyed a time of tasting the cider and apples! Sarah and Elizabeth loved both! :) The cider was sooooo yummy!!! We purchased a gallon of the cider and some Apple Butter for Daddy (one of his favorites). The morning came to a close by enjoying lunch in the picnic areas along with the curious bees in close proximity.

His richest blessings to you all for a wonderful fall weekend! We are celebrating A BIG 1st Birthday this Saturday and are looking forward to all the excitement ahead! :)

Until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI JULIE, THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR DAY WITH THE GIRLS, IT WAS GREAT. THE APPLES WERE BEAUTIFUL. I KNOW THAT YA'LL HAD A GREAT TIME. THANKS AGAIN. JUST SEEING A PICTURE OF THE GIRLS REALLY MAKES IT SEEM WE ARE NOT MISSING SO MUCH. I LOVE ALL YOU DO. LOVE SUSIE
P.S I LOOK SO FORWARD TO SEE WHAT THE DURHAM FAMILY IS DOING NEXT!!.

Mom of 3 said...

It looks like you had a great time. I am looking forward to us going in Nov. with my mommy group. Until next time...