As some of you may or may not know we are in the midst of landscaping the flower bed that stretches across the big window in our front yard. We have been working on this garden project for quite some time now. We are continuing to discover daily how much longer projects like these are taking due to little ones around. Before, I believe we could have knocked this project out in one weekend. NOT ANYMORE!!! As it looks at the present moment the end is quite a ways off. Sarah, on the other hand has become quite intrigued by the whole process. She loves to watch Daddy work with the "rockies" as she calls the cement stones he is using to build the border wall. He has spent countless hours over the last two weeks sculpting over and over again this much anticipated wall. And..., despite his many frustrations, I believe he has finally decided to give in and be done with trying to make it "perfect". I, on the other hand am feeling the pressure now to decide what to fill the bed with. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! We currently have one fuchsia/red dwarf crape myrtle tree in the center and the rest we have dug out. We purchased some different color petunias recently to possibly use. I'm in search of some really pretty small shrubs, maybe something the size of an english boxwood. I would love something chartreuse colored. The bed receives mostly full sun for the major part of the day. Sarah has really taken up an interest in this project, which of course I'm thankful. We purchased her some children's garden tools(pictured above) and rake at Lowe's recently. They have some really cute and well- made garden tools for children if anyone is interested. They are also well priced. I allowed her to pick out one special plant for her to take home and take care of. She picked out a multi-colored Lantana one. I was kinda surprised she didn't go for a plant with pink blooms. Oh, well... I'm so proud of her though! I am really looking forward to watching her care for and tend to this plant. I picked out and offered to buy her a special pot for it but she insisted , "No Mommy, you can use that pot for your flower. I want to put my flower in the 'mud'." Ha! I think she is truly more into the "Mud" thing then she is the whole "gardening" thing. But, whatever it takes. It is my desire for her to simply love and appreciate the art and beauty of gardening.
And..., last but not least here are a couple fun garden quotes to leave you with;
"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." -Lou Erickson
and this next one I especially love,
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done." -Author Unknown
Happy planting until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment