So... this past Tuesday I loaded up the girls and we traveled to Greensboro (my beloved hometown) to visit with a very dear friend of mine who is 92. She is a very delightful and sweet lady who I drove for all through college to earn some extra money. She has a problem with her eyes and is not able to drive. From the start, our relationship quickly turned into a lifetime friendship. Despite our age differences we were the best of friends. I took the girls to see her because she had expressed to me a desire for us to come as soon as we got the chance. As soon as we arrived Sarah was smitten with her immediately. My father-in-law always says children are a good judge of character. I believe he's right! She treated us to one of my favorites, The Village Tavern for lunch. We all enjoyed a fun "catching up" day together.
In case you're wondering about the above picture... I asked her if I could take this picture of her because I have always loved this painting. It was painted sometime in the late 30's in the original O.Henry Hotel located then in downtown Greensboro. It hung for a great while in the window of the famous Greensboro ladies department store, Brownhills. The dress she is wearing happens to be one they sold in their shop. She says it was quite difficult sitting still while the artist worked.
Many years later she was able to come to a price agreement with the artist and purchased it. What a treasure it is, but most importantly what a treasure she is!
In case you're wondering about the above picture... I asked her if I could take this picture of her because I have always loved this painting. It was painted sometime in the late 30's in the original O.Henry Hotel located then in downtown Greensboro. It hung for a great while in the window of the famous Greensboro ladies department store, Brownhills. The dress she is wearing happens to be one they sold in their shop. She says it was quite difficult sitting still while the artist worked.
Many years later she was able to come to a price agreement with the artist and purchased it. What a treasure it is, but most importantly what a treasure she is!
Her famous quote she always reminds me of is "The spirit of the Lord goes before me and makes my way easy." I am so grateful the Lord allowed our paths to cross.
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment